Facing parenthood can be a great time of insecurity for anyone, particularly for new parents. If you correctly prepare for your baby's arrival during pregnancy, it can help to ease the change after your baby is born. Having all of the necessary supplies on hand before you bring your baby home is a smart decision. Everybody's needs are varied, so this baby essentials checklist is a basic guideline to the most important general items you will need to bring your baby home.
Diaper and Layetes
- Wrap covers, cloth diapers or disposable diapers- A newborn baby will usually go through about 10 to 12 diapers a day. Cloth diapers could save you money, and there are many new options that are just as easy as the disposable diapers. The cloth diapers may cost you a little more in the beginning, but in the end you will and up saving a bundle. Check out the website BumGeniusdiapers.com and add them to your gift registry.
- Baby wipes or large washcloths – When choosing your wipes, make sure to avoid any chemicals or skin irritants. Consider using your own washcloths with warm water instead of commercial brands that may have fragrances and preservatives. Your baby will be sensitive during his or her first few days.
- All in ones or T-shirts – You will usually use at least one or two of them a day in the first few days.
- Newborn hat – New babies are unable to maintain body temperature, so a light hat in the summer can help to keep their temperature stable. A heavier hat should be provided for the winter.
- Crib blankets, crib sized comforter and quilt – Do not use thick blankets where your baby is sleeping. A heavier blanket is good for covering him or her in the stroller on outings. More than one is advised.
- Swaddling and receiving blankets –These blankets can be used for playing, changing, holding, swaddling etc. It is recommended that you have a few, as these will be dirty often and need to be frequently washed.
Products for Baby Care
- Natural body wash and shampoo
- Pacifiers – If you choose to use a pacifier, buy several different brands, so that you can decide which one your baby likes the best. Some parents choose not to use pacifiers, so cross them off of your baby essentials checklist, if you do not want to use them.
- Natural lotion or baby oil – Calendula is a good product for a baby with sensitive skin.
- Diaper cream – Select a natural product that does not contain a petroleum derivative. Petroleum actually takes the natural moisture away from the skin and will damage cloth diapers.
- Safety scissors or nail clippers for babies – Cut your babies nails short, so that he will not scratch himself.
- A baby bath or tub bath – When you first bring your new baby home, a warm sponge bath will do the trick, although soon it will be time for a real bath.
The Baby's Gear
- A baby carrier – Be sure to choose a carrier that is very comfortable for you. Many parents have recommended the Moby Wrap, available at MobyWrap.com.
- The infant car seat – You must have a safety seat in place to bring your newborn home from the hospital. The most important thing in your baby essentials checklist is the infant car seat.
- Diaper bag
Safey and Health
- Baby monitor
- Infant acetaminophen drops
- Digital thermometer
- Nasal aspirator
This baby essentials checklist is only to be used as a guide. There are still many other items that you will need before you bring your baby home from the hospital. If you do a lot of research on the topic, it will help you to have everything ready when your beautiful baby arrives.